Sunday, October 2, 2011

September 30, 2011 OZ Arrives in My Little Town



Another weekend festival in my little town. This time it's Oztoberfest, celebrating the Wizard of Oz and the fact that someone is loaning all their Wizard of Oz shit, I mean, memorabilia to Wamego and the town built a festival around it.


I'm not much of a festival kind of citizen, but I thought these flags were sort of cool. Green for the Emerald City and yellow because I have no idea why.


There was a bike race, a 5k run, Munchkins signing (selling) autographs, "The Wiz" at the Columbian, a display of Judy Garland's dresses. Pretty big doin's for a little town.


It was a beautiful fall day; one of those perfect days that comes along every now and then. The trees are starting to turn and it won't be long before the landscape will be ablaze with color. Ablaze, I say!


My brother is in town to ride in the bike ride tomorrow. My brother in law, Jay, is in charge of said ride and my brother is a biker from way back.


Now, that's not exactly true. My brother, who is the smartest human being I know, couldn't ride a bike until he was in junior high and I TAUGHT HIM. I remind him of that every chance I get. It's the right thing to do.


Mostly he rides a stationary bike at the gym these days, but occasionally, he gets out in the crisp mountain air of Denver and actually gets some where when he pedals.


Tomorrow he's riding 28 miles.


Tomorrow I'm sleeping in and going to breakfast with Luke.