Saturday, October 15, 2011

October 14, 2011 A Trip Down Memory Lane

This morning, I packed up the cupcakes I baked last night. I wanted to do something special so I decorated a box with Halloween stickers - my god, this is sounding a little bit like a Kindergarten room mother getting ready for a classroom party. Maybe I missed my calling?

Here are the cupcakes. They look pretty good, but I'm sure about the taste. I'm not the most confident baker but my heart's in the right place!


When I got to the RV campground and met Peggy, it was as if we had just seen each other last week. Or, maybe, two weeks ago. But certainly no longer than three.


We went to a local cafe for lunch and 4 1/2 hours later, we headed back to the RV park. For 4 1/2 hours we caught up on 30 years of history. I think we got the job about done.


Her little darlings are both parents, are both in their 40s, are both successful. Where did the time go? My son is older than Peggy was when we met so many years ago.


We laughed and cried. We shared stories and memories. I remembered the time that both kids were taking naps so I took one on the couch. Peggy came home mid-afternoon for something, came in the house, roamed around and left again, and I, THE BABYSITTER, GUARDIAN OF THE CHILDREN, slept through the whole thing! I bet she felt real confident in my abilities that day.


I found a photo album which contained pictures of us on a camping trip in 1972. Two pictures were of particular interest: one was Peggy in her pjs and one was Peggy in her swimming suit. She was such a very, very good sport. Still is.


She busted my friend, Ellen, and I smoking in the bath house. We thought we were so cool, Peggy was afraid we'd burn the place down.


We talked about our lives since "growing up"; it's not been easy for either of us, but we are both in a good place right now.


It's especially good now that we are back in touch. Instead of regretting the years we've missed apart, we are looking forward to spending time together in the years to come.


Make new friends

But keep the old.

One is silver

and the other gold.

No comments: