Tuesday, October 25, 2011

October 25, 2011 Window to the World

This is the front window of my house.

Is it any wonder that most people in Wamego think I'm nuts?

Is it any wonder that I don't give a shit?

Here's the deal: the world would be a much better place if EVERY, SINGLE house had a "No Handguns Allowed" sign in their front window.

I had a person tell me that my sign would encourage bad guys to rob my house. Oh. Right. Bad guys are wandering around looking for houses without guns to burglarize.

The "Friends for Peace" sign has been in the window for over 5 years. Just in case anyone is wondering, I'm on the side of peace. I'm not on the side of the crazy 10 year war that George Bush insisted we start. If EVERY, SINGLE house had a "Friends for Peace" sign, wouldn't this be a great place to live?

My house has a lot of windows. I have a lot of signs to post.

You know, I think this all started in 1972 when George McGovern ran for president. I had a blue sign that was made of a plastic kind of material that was sort of transparent. I put it in my bedroom window (it faced La Mesa Drive). At night I'd turn on the light and that sign would literally glow. It looked amazing from the outside.

I could tell people to look for the house with the McGovern sign and that's about all the directions anyone needed. There weren't too many McGovern supporters in Dodge City.

Same is true today. I can tell people to find the house that doesn't allow handguns and is on the side of peace.

That house will be mine.

No comments: