Sunday, October 2, 2011

October 1, 2011 Family, Friends, Fire, Frogs

First things first: This post is the first one of the TENTH month of this blog! Who knew I could stick with it this long? Who knew that I would find something to take a picture of every day? Someone found my blog and sent me this message, "I started reading your blog and got sucked in."


Sucked in. Why, thank you. Thank you very much.


Luke and I did indeed go to breakfast at Bob's Diner in Manhattan. It was awesome.


Then we went to the store because we are headed to Kim's house tonight for dinner and I needed to get some bits and pieces to take along.


Next, it was time to get the laundry done. And take a nap. (I love Saturdays.)


Thanks to the wonder that is facebook, an old friend found me and gave me a call this afternoon. He was my former debate partner (I know, hard to believe that I was ever a high school debater, but I was) but he was much more than that. I remember Mike making me laugh more than anyone ever did before or since - with the exception of Jack Turner, who is the funniest human being around. I remember Mike being crazy smart. He still is.



He had a great car, a Mustang convertible. We would ride around in it, with the top down, regardless of the weather. One time we wore football helmets because it was raining or hailing or something. We even rode around with snow falling on us.


One time during a debate, he reached in his briefcase (which was magical, like Mary Poppins' bag) and pulled out a phone receiver. The cord disappeared into the briefcase. (Okay, as I'm writing this, it's not funny or strange or amusing, but I can promise you that it was all these things when it happened.)


I remember I wore a navy blue double knit homemade (thanks, Mom) pants suit with a sailor collar and a red tie and white and black saddle shoes. I. Was. Stylin'.


Mike told me that he picked me to be his partner because I was cute, smart and had a sense of humor, just like him. (Says me, not Mike.)


Mike's voice is exactly the same. His laugh is exactly the same. His sense of humor is completely intact.


CB got home from work and we headed to my sister's for dinner. My brother, my mom, Luke, everyone was there.


After supper, Kim started a fire in her portable fire pit. It was only the second time it's been used. (The first was at my celebration after my breast surgery in 2008.) We sat around it for over an hour, laughing and carrying on. At one point, a frog jumped up on the rim of the fire pit and just sat there. His little feet must have gotten hot because pretty soon he was gone and there was no sizzling in the fire.


Speaking of frogs/toads: no update on the one at my mom's house. She says it's still there. No one else has seen it. We think she's crazy.


Marshmallows were roasted, camp songs were sung, brothers were embarrassed, Mom's obituary was discussed (at her request, I might add).


Here's my suggestion for Mom's obit. We buy a classified ad that reads: Momma's with Jesus, we're sellin' her stuff.


My mom's cheap. She'd like it except she'll be with Jesus.