Saturday, September 3, 2011

September 3, 2011 Perfect Day

It was a great day. The weather was perfect - in fact it even rained a little!

We started with made from scratch blueberry muffins (I am such a good hostess!) then headed to Topeka.

Our first stop was Monroe School. It's a very interesting place to learn about integration and Brown v. Topeka Board of Education. There was a magnet board upon which you could express your feelings. So I did:
Then we went to Porubsky's for lunch. It hasn't changed in at least 30 years and more like 60! No chili, but I had the cold plate and a beer. It was exactly the same. And the hot pickles? They still make grown men cry for their mommas.

Next stop was Washburn University's Mulvane Art Gallery for an exhibition of art built from Legos. It was unbelievable to see the things that the artist was able to make from little square blocks.


Here is just one example:

We got home and, at some point in the evening, CB and Roger grilled steaks and shrimp.


The meal was so good.


Then we played dominoes and Karin and I sang along with the radio. The guys loved it. Oh yes, it's true. They loved every note that came out of our mouths. They were particularly taken with our rendition of "Y.M.C.A.". In fact, my recollection is that they wanted an encore.


Alcohol count for the day: numerous beers, 2 bottles of wine (one for me, one for Karin) and 1/2 a bottle of Scotch.


Also, I won the domino game. I dominated it. Didn't even cheat. Didn't have to. But, you totally know I would have.

No comments: