Saturday, September 10, 2011

September 10, 2011 Scenic Route



Today I drove to Kansas City for a baby shower for my friend, Jennifer. She and her husband are having a baby in November (I'm holding out for November 18th. It's worked well for Luke!).


My history of driving in Kansas City is a checkered one. I've been lost too many times to count and I get frustrated when I get lost.


For this trip, I mapquested the address for 2 different routes, programed my Garmin, took at KC street guide and a map of Kansas. I was ready to go.


I arrived at the shower venue in good shape. No big hiccups because I trusted the British voice on my Garmin. It was like having my pal, Princess Diane of Woodstock, in the seat next to me. (Hi, Diane! Happy belated birthday!)


The shower was fun with crazy games and lots of laughs. Jennifer is a gracious guest of honor. She looks so cute all pregnant and excited. Pretty soon she'll be wondering what the hell happened to sleeping all night and having clothes that don't smell like sour milk!


When I left it was pouring rain and I was really nervous about finding my way back to Highway 10. Turns out, I didn't' have to be nervous because I never did find it and drove all over Hell's Half Acre trying to get out of that god damn town. Finally, I found myself on I 35 which I knew would hook up to either I 70 or Nebraska.


I found I 70 and CB called. He told me to go back to Highway 10 by way of I 435 so I did. I think I put about 500 miles on my car just driving around Kansas City trying to find the way out.


One good thing is that the last night of the Proms was on NPR so I listened to that. It was awesome and I felt like I was in the Royal Albert Hall (http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms). My favorite part was at the end when the choir sang "God Save the Queen".

When I got home, I told CB about my detours and being lost.


He told me "We need to teach you to read a map."


Well.


That's what he's doing tomorrow. Instead of playing golf.


That'll show him.

No comments: