Monday, December 26, 2011

December 25, 2011 Happy Curtis-mas!

Today is CB's birthday! Happy birthday to my dear, long suffering husband! Unfortunately, that Jesus guy seems to get top billing at every gathering but CB is a good sport about it. What with Jesus saying he's the son of God and everything.

Back when I was a believer, I put out the Nativity scene every year to reinforce the reason for the season. Now, I display it as part of the reasons for the season; the reasons being family, tradition, memories, gifts (lots and lots of gifts. Who are we kidding?)

Years ago, my stepmother made me this ceramic nativity scene. I love it because it took her so long to make, her name is on each piece and she made it especially for me. Luke played with it as he was growing up so there are nicks and chips. Several of the pieces have been glued back together after a particularly grueling session with Luke.

When Luke was about 4, he decided that the manger needed to remain empty until Christmas morning. Yes, Luke was a Sunday school goin' fool back in those days. If the church doors were open, we were there. Anyway, he would take the baby Jesus and hide him (sometimes I knew where Baby Jesus spent Advent, sometimes I didn't) and every Christmas morning, the babe would appear in the manger. If Luke was visiting his dad over Christmas, he would announce to me in a very grown up way that Jesus would not be in his manger until the day we celebrated Christmas and I was not to worry.

Once again, the manger is empty. Luke is 30, he's still hiding the baby Jesus.

I have no doubts that the baby will appear right before we open our Christmas gifts!


In case you are paying attention: there are 2 other wise men who didn't get in the picture (they were feeding the camel that didn't quite make it). Oh, and the many barnyard animals that shared their stable that night? Lost. Broken. 3 legged and can't stand up. The gray ox? Only has one ear.

I told you, these pieces have been loved well.

No comments: