Friday, November 25, 2011

November 25, 2011 Headed to Dodge

Luke and I spent the day traveling to and from and hanging out in Dodge City. Luke and I have made that trip many, many times. I think the first time he went from Topeka to Dodge, he was about a month old; nearly 30 years ago.

Traveling with him these days is a bit more fun - and no diaper bag is required.

Naturally, our first stop was at El Charro. It was as good as ever. We knew what we wanted before we arrived because we had discussed it en route.

And we got an order to go. Or two. Or more.
Then we went to Boot Hill to buy a book for a friend that I couldn't get on line. The Long Branch Saloon brings back a lot of memories and usually involves me breaking into song. (Just use your imagination.)


While I was making my purchase, Luke had other things in mind.



Seriously, who is this kid? Doesn't he look like a guy who just came in from spending the last year in the wilderness looking for a woman and a bottle of whiskey?

Then, we drove around looking at all the houses we know.


We saw this and about wrecked the car.


We named him "Morris". I don't know why. There is a story, but it's not been written yet. This large camel was in the front yard of a house on Thompson Street in Dodge. Do not overlook the pink shoes, the black and white socks, the decorative neckerchief and whatever the hell that is on Morris' hump.


We drove around the block to get another look and it was still funny.

It was time to head home and my turn to drive.


Since it's western Kansas and in the middle of nowhere, I drove a little faster than the speed limit.
My first ticket in over 10 years (my last one was on Fort Riley with my dad in the car. Oh, that's a great story.)


I got a ticket for 76 in a 65. Luke and I were laughing our asses off, particularly since Luke said he thought it would be funny if he grabbed the cooler and took off running towards the railroad tracks. I said it would be funny until he got shot in the back, then no one would be laughing. Well, I'd laugh for a little while, but then it would suck.


The cop told me "I HAVE to give you a citation." I thought to myself, "no you most certainly do NOT have to give me a citation. You have a huge amount of discretion; you want to ruin my Thanksgiving trip."


For the record: I did not say "thank you" when he gave me the ticket. What's up with that, anyway? Why in the world would I be grateful for a ticket?


For the record, part 2: I did not slow down. Come on, it's a long trip, made even longer by driving the speed limit.

No comments: