Tuesday, November 22, 2011

November 21, 2011 Celebrate Diversity



Tonight Luke and I were invited to dinner at the home of an Indian couple. We were treated to authentic Indian food and chai tea. It was heaven!


I had the Indian experience in London at Priya's wedding. Since then, I've been on the hunt for a cup of chai that would taste like Massi's. My travelling companion, Kimber, has done her share of taste testing as well. We've come close, but seem to fall short.


Until tonight. Tonight, I had chai that would make Massi proud!


I can't pronounce the names of the dishes we had, but that didn't stop me from enjoying them!


For starters we had mashed potatoes seasoned with a masala of coriander, curry, chili powder, ginger and other spices, also included were peanuts, lentils, and rice strips. It was served cold, so it was kind of like a potato salad. Kind of. But not really.


For the meal we had baked chicken in yogurt and seasoned with a masala of many, many spices. It was very flavorful but not too spicy. Also, rice that was full of vegetables and lightly fried, a mushroom curry, spinach gravy over Indian style cottage cheese, a yogurt dish with carrots which is used to cool the heat of the Indian spices and Indian tortillas (I am embarrassed that I don't remember the names - which I must admit were repeated to me time after time after time.)


For dessert was a sweet rice dish that was made with a small grain special rice, coconut, sweet milk, coriander and other spices.


Luke and I spent the evening asking all kinds of questions about their religion, their culture, their lives both at home in India and in the U.S. It was a great way to spend an evening.


I know that if my friends read this (and they won't), they'll cringe at my descriptions of the dishes (I need Kimber to write for me like she did from London) but my heart is truly in the right place!


The food was made with love and care and Luke and I are honored that these students offered to share it with us.


Sort of like the first Thanksgiving.


Except Luke and I won't steal their land.

No comments: