Wednesday, May 25, 2011

May 23, 2011 Why I Love Luke Living at Home



If I had to list all the reasons why I love having Luke living at home, it would take hours, days, months. I could start a blog called "Why I Love Having My Son Living at Home" - there would be a new entry every day.


Here are a few: he carries in the groceries; he empties the dishwasher; he laughs at my jokes; he doubles the number of Democrats on the block (in the county, actually); he is always up for a road trip.


Today, he asked about my old bread machine. A bread machine that he, in fact, gave me for Mother's Day probably 15 years ago.


We found it with little effort and Luke baked a loaf of bread! He measured everything very carefully and put each ingredient in a small plastic dish so he could dump them all together when the time came. As a result, it looked like he used every dish in the house!


When Luke was in about 4th grade and we lived in Liberal, we had a bread machine on loan from a friend. Everyday when Luke got home from school, he would call me and with just a little help from me (by phone) he'd get a loaf of bread going in time for supper.


There was always such a sense of accomplishment when the buzzer buzzed and we had warm bread.


Nothing has changed since then.


The bread smells great.


The bread tastes great.


My son did all the work.


And the dishes.


What shall I teach him next?

No comments: