Thursday, May 19, 2011

May 18, 2011 Let's Eat Out!


Luke thought we were going out to lunch because he was done with finals and out of school for 3 weeks.

I thought we were going out to lunch because 26 years ago this very day I graduated from law school.

What an accomplishment. A single mother. Living in the ghetto of Topeka. Working 2 jobs. Luke was 8 months old when I started and almost 4 when I was done. His name should have been on my diploma as well....he often went to sleep listening to me read from my Contracts text, or Property, or Evidence. Yeah. What an accomplishment.

Anyway, we were at lunch at the Hillside Cafe. (Best Mexican food in Manhattan) There was a little boy, maybe 3 years old, who was not having any fun sitting at lunch with his mom and grandma. Mom gave him her digital camera (WTF?) and he started taking pictures of Luke and I.

We were laughing at him and he was laughing at us. Then I got out my digital camera and started taking pictures, just to make the flash go off. He seemed to really like that. Later, when I looked at my pictures, this one was the best. The rest were of the floor.

It reminded me of Luke on this day in 1985 - full of laughter. He didn't know what was going on with all the people around, but he knew his mom was really smiling and his Papa Judge was really smiling, so it had to be good.

And it was.

No comments: