Tuesday, July 5, 2011

July 5, 2011 Big, BIG Day

I packed a whole lot into this day.

First, I was was judge pro tem of Municipal Court in Manhattan. I think I did okay...called a defendant "sweetie" (she was crying and I'm a softy), let a guy out on an OR bond who has about a dozen failure to appear cases, didn't go with the City's sentencing recommendations only once or twice.

No one ran screaming from the courtroom....including me.....so it must have been a success!


Still high from my day in charge of city court (that might be stretching it a little...), I decided to try new dishes for supper.

My day turned to shit almost immediately. Keep in mind as you read the following that I am, honestly, a pretty good cook. I am. Honestly. Ask anyone.

Soooooo, I went to the store and got just a few ingredients I needed to make Island Chicken and Pumped Up Potato Salad. Both recipes are from the Food Network and are courtesy of Sandra "Semi Homemade Cooking" Lee.

Semi-homemade implies that some of the ingredients are already cooked or shredded or whatever. This was going to be great - a wonderful meal, done quickly, leaving time for me to walk on my treadmill.

How things turned to shit:

I mixed up the potato salad (oh my god it was wonderful) completely - potatoes, cooked macaroni, carrots, celery, hard boiled eggs, red bell pepper, honey mustard dressing, mayonnaise and sour cream. Totally done. THEN I tasted one of the potatoes. It was raw. I bought, as directed by little Miss Sandra Lee, the potatoes that are in the dairy department of the store. I thought they were cooked. Nope. They aren't. That's why the directions on the package tell you how to cook them.

The salad went down the disposal.

Not to be discouraged, I whipped up a pasta salad. No problem there.

Then I started on the chicken. I seasoned the chicken only to realize I was suppose to brush the chicken with EVOO before seasoning it. Damn it.

There was a sauce to make and the recipe called for canned pineapple. I had 3 fresh ones, so I decided to use them. I set aside several rings for grilling and the juice as directed. So far so good.

I was on a roll.

The recipe instructed me to put the juice with some jerk seasoning (named, no doubt, after my ex-husband) and brown sugar into a pan, bring to a boil and reduce by half.

Instead I burned it completely. Before I burned it, it sure smelled good and had a lot of potential.

Then, I went to the grill to get the chicken breasts started and there was a frog right by the grill.

I. HATE. FROGS. I had to coax that little bastard away from the grill so I could continue what was rapidly becoming the dinner from hell.

However, I got the chicken breasts and pineapple rings grilled. Could it be that there was a light at the end of this tunnel?

CB called to say he'd be late getting home, so Luke went ahead and ate. He said it was really good.

But that it would have been better with the sauce.

Naturally.

No comments: