Tuesday, July 19, 2011

July 19, 2011 Today I Had Adventures


Saw this pizza box in the trash this morning in Manitou. Who knew Manhattan and Manitou had so much in common?
So, I headed to Boulder the back way. Taking I-25 straight north would have been too easy and would have made me crazy driving through Denver. My driving experiences in Kansas City have taught me that big city driving is not my favorite thing to do. I'm on vacation, so I don't want to do anything un-fun.

On the way north from Woodland, there was evidence of a forest fire and it reminded me of a moonscape. It looked so bare.

There I was driving along, minding my own business, admiring the scenery and loving the sound of the creek I seemed to be following. The sun was shining and it was a good day. A very good day.

But then it happened. I saw a sign that struck fear deep inside me.

The sign said "Pavement Ends". PAVEMENT ENDS? Are you frickin' kidding me? Seriously? In the middle of absolutely NOWHERE, the pavement ends? Whose bright idea is this?

According to the map the pavement doesn't end. It keeps going. All the way to the town where I was headed.

The sign trumped the map. The pavement did indeed end. I had no choice but to keep churning along. The no longer paved pavement turned into a dirt road that was wet, like driving on a washboard and nearly straight up. Straight. Up. My heart was pounding and I was not having much fun. Driving through Denver sounded pretty good.

Three miles later, we had pavement!

I met my friend, Curt, for lunch when I arrived outside of Denver. We picked up where we left off about 20 years ago. Great friends can do that.

Then I headed to Boulder. I did NOT take the Denver-Boulder turnpike either. Oh no. Not me. I took the Peak to Peak scenic byway. It was amazing. The mountains were beautiful. I rolled my window down and listened to the water rushing by. It was a wonderful trip.

The day ended with the welcome reception where I met a number of wonderful student legal services attorneys. They are a great group and I'm looking forward to the next few days.

I may have to hunt for a daily picture....but I'll get one. Everyday. I promise!

No comments: