Sunday, July 3, 2011

July 2, 2011 In the Kichen with Sarah

I spent today in the kitchen having a wonderful time! Popped in a movie, cleared the counters and got down to business.

For my Mom's 3rd of July Celebration, I agreed to bring cupcakes but, this year, I wanted to do something a bit different. My Pink Champagne cupcakes fit the bill nicely.

But, I wanted another variety as well so I found a recipe for Sea Salt Caramel cupcakes. The recipe was challenging - - I have NEVER made a cake from scratch before - - and the frosting had about 471 steps.

I baked the cupcakes and they turned out just okay. The flavor was wonderful, but they sank in the middle. I should have beat the butter and sugar longer and, I think, the baking powder was not as fresh as it could have been. But, if you close your eyes and take a bite, you'll be glad you did.

And, frosting? It covers a multitude of sins!

Now, about the frosting. First, you melt sugar. I had just seen the Barefoot Contessa do it on TV about 15 minutes before I did mine so I was in complete control.




After the sugar melted, I added heavy cream.

As if my magic, I ended up with caramel. Smooth, caramelly caramel.

Then, I put a bowl over simmering water and whisk sugar and egg whites for 5 minutes. The eggs were then whipped for 6 minutes when milk and butter were added. After that, I folded in the caramel.

Oh. My. God.

The cupcakes were frosted and popped into the refrigerator. Tomorrow, I'll drizzle them with more caramel and top with a bit of sea salt.

I turned to look at my kitchen.



A couple of notes: the flour on the floor is from noodle making on Thursday and in the middle of all this baking, I had a chicken in the crock pot.


My last thought before going to sleep?



I hope the Kitchen Fairies come tonight and do the dishes.

No comments: