Wednesday, March 30, 2011

March 29, 2011 My Mom, the House Painter

My mom. She rocks. Ever since I can remember, she has put wren houses out in the spring. When the wren houses, which were built by her dad, get a bit worn looking, she paints them. As you can see, she gives them personality...shrubs along the back, flowers in the front. I think the wrens are tickled to have such nice digs!

What's even funner about my mom is that she writes on the calendar when she hears the first wren cheep then she watches for the first wren to come along to check out the house.

One afternoon in 2002 or 2003 (I had just started at KSU), I was sitting on Mom's front porch and the little baby wrens started to fly out. It was so much fun to watch those babies poke their heads out of the hole and work up the courage to fly out. The momma wren would sit in a nearby bush and cheep away, encouraging her children to fly out of the house. I bet Mom and I watched for over an hour!

Oh yes, it was an exciting day in Wamego!!

No comments: