Saturday, March 26, 2011

March 26, 2011 One More Person I Love

You know the kind of friend you don't see for months, and then when you do see them you pick right up where you left off? Yep. That's Rob and me.

Today we had lunch in Topeka and spent over 2 hours (yes, we were charged booth rental, as a matter of fact.) catching up. We've been soul mate kind of friends for about 13 years. He knows me better than anyone.

If I am ever abducted by aliens and they send back a fake "Sarah" and no one can tell the difference, Rob will be able to. (It will have to do either with how I swear or how I spill when I eat. I'm just sayin').

We have talked each other down from various cliffs during our 13 years together. He was there when I started dating Curtis, when my step-mother died, when my dad died, when life generally sucked and when life was awesome. He's a steadfast friend. He's not afraid to call bullshit - fortunately, he doesn't have to do that with me since I'm a tell the truth and stick to the facts kinda girl. (Oh yes I am. What do you mean my exaggeration skills should be listed on my resume?)

Rob is a man of faith. While I've lost mine and am no longer a believer, he lives what he believes everyday. He loves and forgives and does all those things that Jesus would be demanding from people if he were to show up tomorrow.

I'm 20 years older than Rob - clearly old enough to be his mother. Sometimes we will go places and I'll say to the waiter or store clerk or whomever, "This is my son and we are traveling together. I don't think he's having much fun because he keeps denying I'm even his mother." Then, of course, Rob will say "But she's NOT my mother." I put on a sad face and say "See, isn't it sad? I'm trying to make this a good trip but he won't try to get along." I just go on and on and finally, Rob gives up! It's great!

Here's to friends who know all about you and love you anyway!

No comments: