Sunday, August 7, 2011

August 6, 2011 You Gotta Have Friends

This morning I was up and at 'em by 8:30. Jennifer Gould (that's her maiden name) was coming from Kansas City and we were headed to my office. Jennifer was going to help me get a case management plan in place.

Years ago, maybe 8, Jennifer was a student at Kansas State and interviewed me for a speech. She had dreams of law school, so she asked if she could hang out in my office to get a feel for what a lawyer does. From that was born a friendship that has stood the test of time, distance and the fact that I am older than her mother!

The first thing we did when she arrived was the Drive of Shame as she took me to get my car. There it was sitting all alone in the parking lot. The parking lot between the police station and Rambler's. Do you think the cops ran my license plate a time or two during the night?

Then we spent about 4 hours at my office. Jennifer knew the questions to ask and has the skills to set up the program. With her help, at any time during the school year, I will be able to determine the number of open and closed cases, what kind of cases, how many international students, etc. etc. Jennifer is a genius. A kind, patient, supportive genius. Everyone should have a Jennifer in their life.

Jennifer is also pregnant so another genius is on the way!

When I got home, I started on my project for the resident assistant's resource fair which is Monday morning. Legal Services is most certainly a resource for RAs.

My idea is to bake and frost cupcakes for 90 RAs and 30 staff members then put one of my business cards in the frosting. Cute, huh!

List of things to do: bake 120 cupcakes; laminate 120 business cards; frost 120 cupcakes; tote them all to Manhattan.

This afternoon, I baked cupcakes.

(This is less than half of the cupcakes, in case you were planning to count them.)

This evening, I laminated business cards.

And wondered why I'm so damn creative.

No comments: