Monday, August 22, 2011

August 22, 2011 They're Baaaack!

Students are back.

Every one of the 23,000 students at Kansas State has a car and they were all on Bluemont this afternoon. Only 3% of the cars today had any idea where they were going.

I was one of the 3%. For a change.

School started today so the campus was full of life and people and bright shining faces. I love the promise that a new school year brings.

New pencils and new shoes. New backpacks and clean notebooks.

Clean criminal records that soon have blemishes like Minor in Possession of Alcohol or Peeing in Public.

Manhattan's population doubles or triples when school is in session. But still no bus system, no mandatory rental inspections, no consideration of the students at all by the powers that be. Manhattan City Commission, you now who you are.

A college town should be a mecca for speakers and concerts and plays and wonderful learning opportunities. I think Manhattan missed the boat on all counts.

Now wait a minute. Bill Clinton spoke there so WOO HOO for that.

I'm glad the students are back. There's a life in the city that isn't there during the summer. Remind me that I said that when I am bitching about waiting for a table at Olive Garden!


No comments: