Friday, February 18, 2011

February 18, 2011

This is the chair in my office which has be occupied this week by various students in trouble, needing at any given time an attorney, a mother, or both. Mostly the bodies in this chair don't bring me laughter and great conversation.

But then, at 11:30, a body appears in the doorway. I glance up and it's Matt King who has been known to piss, moan and whine about not being mentioned in my blog. The fact that I have not seen him in forever, and therefore have not had a chance to take his picture (this being my PICTURE A DAY) notwithstanding.

After greeting me with hugs and immediate laughter, I took his picture. He is now in my blog. Hopefully the pissing, moaning and whining will cease. But, since he's a great Democrat and an even greater liberal and lives in Kansas, I know that the pissing, moaning and whining reason will simply change from not being mentioned on my blog to those bastards running the state.

Don't let this mean face fool you, he's a marshmallow and quick with a joke. I didn't think there was anyone in the world who loved the great English comedians Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant and Karl Pilkington like I do, but Matt is right up there. We spent time reciting parts of shows we've heard. It really was a bit nerdy, but in a brilliant, British sort of way. Matt studied in Oxford (he's a total brain) which is my favorite part of England. We've had pints in the same bar - but, alas, not at the same time.
Matt, this one's for you. And for everyone else, keep a look out for this kid. He is destine for great things.
Oh, and here's the best thing about Matt. He'll be in London on or about April 21 (the wedding day of Prince William and Kate) and has promised to bring me a cheesy souvenir. I'm hoping for a teapot with William and Kate's face on it. I'll settle for a tea towel.
Love you, Matt. Stay in there and pitch.

No comments: