Saturday, January 15, 2011

Janaury 15, 2011

I've been making noodles and it seems there has been a blizzard in my kitchen! I am nothing if not a full contact cook and the aftermath of a noodle making session confirms it. In fact, I am too embarrassed to post a picture of my kitchen (maybe in a couple of months, when I am running out of things to take pictures of), so here is a photo of the finished product.


The recipe is my Grandma Flo's (my mom's mother) who was a fabulous cook. When we would take the train to Topeka to see our grandparents, Grandma Flo always, always had chicken and noodles waiting for us. It's my favorite comfort food.
I mix the noodles by hand. Seriously, by hand. No spoon involved, just my hands mixing the eggs, flour and water. It's a mess, but well worth it.
Then, I roll the noodles out as thinly as I can. Once that is done, the flat, thin noodle sheet is rolled into a log, sliced, unrolled and laid out to dry. That's what the picture is of - the "watching grass grow" process of noodle drying!
Tomorrow, I'll boil them, add some chicken and serve them over mashed potatoes.
Thanks, Grandma Flo!

1 comment:

The Blaisdell Family said...

And I will be over for lunch!! Hee hee! LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!